[GSBN] earthquake footings

Bob Theis bob at bobtheis.net
Mon Nov 10 07:21:32 UTC 2014

FLW's Imperial Hotel was built on wet mud, and used an entirely different foundation system than his famous rubble trench. His notion was to " float "  the building on the mud. Didn't work all that well in reality. A decent summary of it - that also dispels many of the myths surrounding the project's  performance in the big Tokyo earthquake of 1923 -are in this paper:

http://www.iitk.ac.in/nicee/wcee/article/7_vol4_145.pdf

Bob Theis

>>> http://holzhueter.blogspot.com/