[GSBN] Straw Bale in Marine Environments

Strawtec strawbales at bigpond.com
Sun Aug 17 06:24:24 UTC 2014

Sorry I hit the wrong button, didn’t mean for you all to get the newsletter

BUT... because of our concerns under the different climate conditions here in Australia we met up with the leading strawbale builders in Germany to investigate what recommendations are coming from overseas.

They have been rendering half the house in clay and then the side of the house which cops the bad weather in lime, then paint the whole house in the one colour so it all looks the same. As well as this the latest strawbale film documented that they render the bad weather side with 60mm of render, not 35/40mm.

On the other hand we also met with the Dutch strawbalers to purchase and bring into Australia the first strawbale screws in order to investigate options such as using cladding as a protective exterior. We have one project in Kiama where the wind and rain was so intense that water started coming through window frames and washed the internal clay render away.

For us this is a big issue and a big problem we want to solve with additional cladding. We’ll keep you updated!

Regards

Frank Thomas

Strawtec
ABN:210 3009 6559 Builder Lic: 115643C