[GSBN] Straw Bale Buildings in Italy - to visit?

Art Ludwig/ Oasis oasis at oasisdesign.net
Wed Jul 30 18:13:08 UTC 2014

Martin,

The only straw bale we saw in Italy was under construction in the Valley of the Elves, near Pistoia, which is close to where you are going.

My impression was that they could use some tips on design and implementation. Really interesting area; a huge, mostly roadless valley with about 25 formerly abandoned farmhouses that have been colonized by back to the landers. It's high elevation, so they can really use the straw bale advantage. It would take several days to walk the whole valley.

There's thousands upon thousands of old stone buildings in Italy that are devilishly uncomfortable in winter. Interesting design challenge to figure out how to retrofit them. Attached greenhouse on south side, insulation on n and west?

Art