[GSBN] Sheathing and straw bales proposed

Derek Stearns Roff derek at unm.edu
Sat Jul 19 18:29:01 UTC 2014

Hi, Ian,

The Vermont COStraw Nostraw has made a good case for blown in dense-pack cellulose in direct contact with the outside of the bales.  (The COStraw Nostraw is an inner circle of the strawbale mafia, which insists on putting Cellulose Over Straw, or using no straw at all.)  The dense-pack cellulose can compensate for the fire, air movement/convection/thermal performance aiding, and vermin impeding qualities that the exterior plaster normally adds to the wall.  I’m skeptical that batt insulation could be an effective substitute.  Gaps are universal with batt insulation, and good installation just means fewer and smaller gaps.  Given the irregular shape of a strawbale wall profile, I expect there would be too many gaps between the straw and the batts, and the presence or absence of sufficient tight contact would be impossible to inspect and verify.  The idea that batts will “settle tight against the bales” seems very unlikely to reach the desired levels of contact between the two materials.  Maybe our resident COStraw practitioner will offer his opinion.  If your batt insulation is really settling, doesn’t that imply gaps at the top of the wall?

I’ll add the usual warning, that lime over clay needs to be tested with the specific lime and the specific clay you will use, since some combinations refuse to collaborate.

On the moisture question, Joe Lstiburek of Building Science Corporation lists both OSB and plywood as “vapor semi-permeable”, and "lightweight asphalt impregnated building papers (#15 building paper)” as being vapor permeable.  My memory of John Straube’s presentations at your Colorado ISBC is that plywood has variable permeability, which increases as moisture levels increase.  That advantage, plus its greater resistance to mold and moisture, and its fewer objectionable chemicals, leads to my preferring plywood over OSB.  It’s worth doing the calculations, but I think that in Boulder’s climate, you will be OK on the permeability question.

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/reports/rr-0412-insulations-sheathings-and-vapor-retarders

I look forward to seeing your project during a future visit to Boulder.

By the way, there is a very useful section on moisture for strawbale buildings in "Design of Straw Bale Buildings: The State of the Art", by Bruce King, et al.  Parts of this wonderful book are now available as a free PDF download at the BuildWell Library, on (you guessed it) Bruce King’s website, while some chapters can be downloaded individually at low costs.  An excerpt of the moisture chapter (written by John Straube) is available free at the second link below, and the whole chapter can be downloaded from the third link for $6.  The entire book can be downloaded from the same link for $20.

http://www.ecobuildnetwork.org/library/building-materials-1/fibers-1/straw-1/straw-bale-1
http://www.ecobuildnetwork.org/library/building-materials-1/fibers-1/straw-1/straw-bale-1/design-of-straw-bale-buildings-the-state-of-the-art-1/chapter-5-moisture-1
http://www.ecobuildnetwork.org/projects/design-of-straw-bale-buildings

Derek