[GSBN] Straw bale at high altitudes (and snow against bale walls)

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 11 23:57:35 UTC 2014

Hi Misha,

In terms of moisture concerns for strawbale walls, elevation in itself is
not relevant.  What matters is climate (precipitation, temperature,
humidity, wind), and how it relates to interior ³climate².  Higher
elevations do mean lower relative temperatures for the region (in all
seasons, 3-5 degrees F per 1000¹), so indirectly it matters.  But very low
outdoor temperatures beg for strawbale walls (just ask our Canadian
friends!).  As long as you employ normal good practices to prevent
relatively warm-moist interior air from condensing in the strawbale wall, by
using a vapor retarder on the inside face of exterior walls (the IRC
requires Class III vapor retarder (between 1.0 and 10 perms) in cold climate
zones) and by sealing penetrations on the inside face of these walls.

I agree with what everyone else has said re: the foundation issues.

Also the concern was raised about snow sitting against the bale walls.  I¹ve
never been convinced one way or the other whether this is a real or an
imagined problem.  Thoughts / questions include:

* When the snow-wall interface is below freezing, presumably nothing
detrimental occurs.
* When snow at the snow-wall interface melts (because all snow is melting or
because the snow at the interface melts because the wall surface is warm
enough) is a space created that allows drying of the plaster, and thus no
harm?
* When the snow at the snow-wall interface melts, does it saturate the
plaster, which then wets adjacent straw causing degradation, and/or does
moisture in the plaster sometimes freeze and damage the plaster?

Does anyone have experience with snow against bales walls that answers these
questions?

Thanks

Martin

Martin Hammer, Architect