[GSBN] The EU wants 5% strawbuildings by 2020 says the Economist..

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Sat Dec 21 17:37:47 UTC 2013

Interesting discussion.  We had an engineer from Ladakh visit the office.
 He was interested in building with straw because of the great insulation
value.  The Indian military has a big presence there, and they've built
uninstalled concrete block buildings which they heat with very polluting
diesel boilers. The problem is that for the native Ladakhis, the small
amount of straw that's produced locally is a very valuable commodity with
many uses; putting it into buildings would be a downgrade.  His idea was to
import straw from India.  Sounds crazy, but the Indian military has a
continuous stream of supply trucks going up Highway 1 from Shrinigar to
Ladakh, the world's highest highway.  Often these trucks carry heavy, but
small equipment, leaving space on the truck for light but bulky material,
such as straw--the straw could get a free ride.  I don't know how that's
going. He said the greatest obstacle is that the military governors in
Ladakh make a considerable amount in kickbacks on the diesel trade, a
disincentive for buildings that conserve energy.

Just out of curiosity, I found two maps of roughly similar scale.  The
first shows rice fields in the Sacramento Valley ONLY. (incidentally part
of a study about how pesticide run-off might be negatively affecting
salmon.  The second is a map of Vermont.  It's hard to grasp the extent of
rice growing.  A study in 1990 put the acreage of rice BURNED at about 1.2
million acres..
It wouldn't be a complete exaggeration to say it's as if all of Vermont
were covered in rice paddies and ....interesting thought.

[image: Inline image 1][image: Inline image 2]

But I ramble.....

John