[GSBN] Baling from rounds

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Mon Sep 30 00:24:41 UTC 2013

I presume the use of large round bales - or very large rectangular bales  - is either because of their availability and /or cheapness when smaller rectangular bales are not available?
 I had a client try rebelling large round bales in a large shed as the round bales were cheap and he owned a baler - and yes he got his bales together but the quality was not really that of rectangular  bales made in the field.  The straw ended up with fairly short fibre lengths laid up in a random pattern within the bale which would not compact as much ideal  -  but the bales still proved useable.  It was a very messy exercise though, and afterward he wished that he has simply purchased rectangular bales at slightly greater cost.

Then I have a client who wanted to build a huge house using giant rectangular bales - the walls would have been around 1.8m thick  - window and door recesses would have ended up being nearly the size of a whole room if you wanted to be able to reach the window latches or door handles, and so it went on  -  but fortunately he proved to be mad and the project went no further than a few initial and difficult discussions -  sometimes you get lucky and don't get too caught up with silly projects.

Graeme