[GSBN] Seeking Reviewers for Strawbale Building Tutorial

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Sat Sep 21 04:11:38 UTC 2013

Dear GSBN members,

My colleague Dmitry Ozeryansky and I are seeking as many as three
individuals to review a chapter of a Strawbale Building Tutorial we are
co-authoring for the Earthquake Engineering and Research Institute (EERI)
and the World Housing Encyclopedia (WHE).  We have almost completed a draft
of Chapter 2, a ³how to² guide on building a small load-bearing strawbale
house. It is primarily focused on seismically active regions of the
developing world, but could have broader application as well.

We plan to e-mail the 27-page Chapter 2 for review within two weeks.
Deadline for comments will be 4 weeks from the date it is e-mailed.  A few
members of the GSBN are already reviewers (Mark Aschheim, Darcey Donovan,
Derek Roff, possibly Kelly Lerner) (Andy Mueller gave a focused review on
earthen plasters).  Chapters 1 (Introduction to SB Construction) and Chapter
3 (Engineering Principles) have already been reviewed.

We are seeking individuals with strong backgrounds in one or more of the
following: strawbale construction, engineering (especially seismic),
building in developing countries, tutorial writing.  All of you are experts
in strawbale construction.  We¹re especially interested in individuals with
experience designing and building in developing countries (not necessarily
strawbale), and who live and practice outside the US (though I won¹t exclude
my fellow Americans).

This is a volunteer review, but reviewers names would be listed in the
on-line, free download Tutorial.  You can see other tutorials on the WHE
webpage:

http://www.world-housing.net/tutorials

By the way, there is also an incredible array of reports on various housing
typologies from all over the world on a page of the same website:

http://www.world-housing.net/housing-reports

Is this something anyone is interested in and able to do in the stated time
frame?  Your review can be as thorough as your available time allows.

Thanks.

Martin Hammer and Dmitry Ozeryansky

Martin Hammer, Architect                    Ozeryansky Engineering
1348 Hopkins St.                                           2254 Nelson Ave
Berkeley, CA  94702                                      Memphis, TN  38104
510-525-0525 (office)                                    901-305-6540
(office)
510-684-4488 (cell)                                       510-287-6115
(cell)

World Housing Encyclopedia
www.world-housing.net
an EERI and IAEE initiative