[GSBN] How many strawbale buildings in the USA?

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Wed Sep 18 00:58:22 UTC 2013

The Ontario Natural Building Coalition (previously OSBBC) has a registry
of 135 houses.
During the period from 2002 to 2010, we were pretty diligent about
canvassing for registrants, offering a free life-time membership in the
OSBBC. Lately, we've had fewer volunteer registrants, as we haven't been
calling out for them.
This sounds similar to your experiences, Bill Christensen, is it not?

My slightly-educated guess is that there are over 300 straw bale homes
in this province.
A very prolific plasterer that I know, (named Tina), has said that she
has worked on over 140 different homes, in the past fifteen years.
Some on the board of the ONBC believe that there are closer to 350 SB homes.

Ontario probably has the most SB homes per Province, with British
Colombia having perhaps as nearly as many. (But maybe Habib Gonzalez
could quit making me laugh with his crazy Old Man Jokes long enough to
count the SB homes out in his province, Eh? Habib?)

Nova Scotia has a count, made by Kim Thompson, and last I heard, there
were over two dozen in that small island paradise. The remainder of
Canada is unknown to me, but that in itself suggests that there are not
a sizable number in those other remaining provinces, or we'd hear about
them.

All in all, if i was a gambling man, I'd bet fewer that 1,000 SB homes
exist in Canada, including all those hermit reclusives.
And if I seriously had to pick a number ... Well then ...
I'd pick 800 for all of Canada.

--
Frank Tettemer
Living Sol ~ Building and Design