[GSBN] new member

Builders Without Borders mail at builderswithoutborders.org
Mon Sep 16 05:04:58 UTC 2013

Hello John,

Thanks for your concern.  I believe Colorado got the most extreme weather,
so I am very glad to hear Mark S is okay.  We did get nearly 6 inches of
rain in four days, so are definitely soggy here in SW New Mexico, but aside
from my leaky roof, all is well in Kingston.

Still, I am calling this the "biblical summer," as we were evacuated for 11
days in June, due to a lightning-caused forest fire in the Gila national
forest that consumed 138,000 acres, and came very close to our community.
Like Mark S., we were very grateful to be returning to our unscathed homes
and a green landscape.  But the severely burned forest put us and our
neighboring town in danger of flooding, and we did indeed get an
unprecedented flood on Aug 4, which turned our babbling creek into a raging
river, scouring the creek to bedrock, undermining roads and bridges,
carrying off low-lying lawn furniture and filling backyards with rocks,
logs and sandy loam...

But through both the fire and flood, no one was hurt, and relatively small
amount of property was damaged, so overall I am feeling very lucky, and we
are all counting our blessings.   And it also makes me very appreciative of
the fire fighters, helicopter crews and search-and-rescue professionals
across the country who are willing to risk their own lives to help others.

Rikki, I'll add another second to your nominations....thank you for
expanding the GSBN network to Chile.

Sincerely,
Catherine Wanek
Co-director
Builders Without Borders
www.builderswithoutborders.org

*Ecological builders working together for a sustainable future.*