[GSBN] new member

john rehorn rehorn at frontier.net
Mon Sep 16 01:05:56 UTC 2013

Hello Bohdan and the worldwide straw bale community,

I can brief you on what I know and I'm sure the folks from the Front Range of Colorado can expound.  A relentless pulse of wet weather came up from the south about a week ago and inundated the state with more rain in a week than it usually gets in a year.  Hardest hit was what we call the Front Range of Colorado where the prairie meets the Rocky Mountains, particularly Boulder.  As of now, communities on the east slope are still isolated due to washed out roads, bridges and swollen creeks and rivers.  Everyone will know more in a few days, when sunny weather will return to the region.
Many of you know and visited Mark Schueneman's gorgeous straw bale home in Left Hand Canyon north of Boulder.  Mark and his partner Deb evacuated and expected to return to a water soaked home in the best case and a scoured foundation in the worst.  Much to his happy shock, Mark's canyon home no more than twelve feet above the creek survived the flood unscathed.  Many of his neighbors in conventional homes were not so lucky.

You might remember the colorful Scotsman/American Bob Campbell.  I've heard that his place in the mountains was spared serious damage, but access to the property is another matter.  As we hear more from others as the waters subside, we'll post on this list serve.  Mark S. is a member of GSBN as is Laura and Dusty.  Mark probably doesn't have electricity or internet and may be too busy cleaning up to let you know what happened any time in the near future.

For those who attended the ISBC 2012, the beautiful town of Estes Park underwent significant flooding and I'm sure it will take years to fully recover.  Unlike floods down in the flatlands, the water in the mountains, of course, not only rises, but moves with tremendous force and funnels in narrow canyons.  It rips houses off foundations, undermines roads and carries away cars.  Hundreds of people are still missing.  Hopefully they've found a safe place to hole up until the waters subside. Many of our East Slope mountain towns are isolated from both transportation and communication at this time.

Thanks Bohdan, for your concern and well wishes.  New Mexico underwent much flooding as well and I'm also concerned about Catherine Wanek, if anyone has a New Mexico update.

John