[GSBN] Steel mesh in clay plaster (?)

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Thu Aug 29 17:19:51 UTC 2013

Hi Graeme,

Thanks very much for your additional cents (and sense).  All you stated
sounds right to me.  I started this subject with steel mesh reinforced clay
plaster on straw bale walls (your item #2), but it expanded (nicely) to cob
with Art Ludwig’s testing.  I’ve used and believe in Cintoflex polypropylene
mesh also (within its limits, like anything else), I was just looking to
expand the array of mesh choices for the purposes of the Tutorial I
mentioned.

Re: nylon, you’re right that it is known to stretch.  But I’ll offer Darcey
Donovan’s successful monotonic and shake table testing of the Pakistan
system that uses nylon fishing net, as a counter balance to your concern.
There could have been stretching of the nylon (especially at the base of the
straw bale wall where crushing of plaster began to free the mesh), but the
bottom line is that it performed under a peak ground acceleration twice the
1994 Northridge CA earthquake (and approximately equivalent to the 2005
Kashmir earthquake).

I’m a believer in through-tying reinforcement (bamboo, various types of
mesh, etc) on opposite sides of the core (straw bale, adobe, straw-clay,
cob, etc) of a wall, as an effective way of stiffening a wall and resisting
in-plane and out-of-plane loads.  There has been much success retrofitting
unreinforced adobe walls with bamboo in this manner.  There is an excellent
paper on testing at U of Technology, Sydney Australia by Dominic Dowling and
others:

http://services.eng.uts.edu.au/~ddowling/Attachments/SismoAdobe05%20Dowling%
20(B)%20UTS%20(final).pdf

Marcial Blondet and Daniel Torrealva have also been doing work in Peru with
reinforced adobe (bamboo, cane, geomesh).

Martin