[GSBN] Steel mesh in clay plaster (?)

Kyle Holzhueter nihondaigaku.kairu at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 22:49:14 UTC 2013

I think it depends on the soil and climate.  Rule of thumb in Japan is to
avoid contact of earth plaster and metal.  In cases where it can't be
avoided, cover the metal lath with a alkaline plaster first.  As Andre
suggested, you'll notice how trowels not cleaned will rust differently when
working with earth and lime plasters.  I've also noticed that my trowels
will rust faster in Japan than North America.  I suspect that soil pH may
be one factor.
Regarding natural reinforcement, in traditional Japanese earthen storehouse
construction, there is a practice called tarumaki (barrel wrapping) that
involves embedding straw rope in wet plaster:  Vertical rope on roughly
20cm centers, more plaster, than horizontal rope on roughly 20cm centers
secured with bamboo nails. Repeat depending on thickness of wall.  There's
an interesting instructional video series on this practice that used to be
for sale.  If anyone is interested, I could see if the videos are still
available.
I've attached two photos of an improvised non-traditional version on a
straw bale wall using palm rope.

Kyle

Kyle Holzhueter  PhD (Bioresource Sciences)
Nihon University, Graduate School of Bioresource Sciences
Architectural and Regional Ecological Design Studio
1866 Kameino Fujisawa Kanagawa 252-0880 Japan

カイル・ホルツヒューター 博士(生物資源科学)
日本大学大学院 生物資源科学研究科
建築・地域共生デザイン研究室
〒252-0880 神奈川県藤沢市亀井野1866