[GSBN] Steel mesh in clay plaster (?)

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Sat Aug 24 20:39:56 UTC 2013

Hello all,

Can anyone weigh in on the use of steel mesh in clay plaster, in terms of
corrosion of the steel?  In particular if it is susceptible to a higher rate
of corrosion than steel mesh in lime or cement plaster (or what an expected
service life might be).  Laboratory tested evidence is especially welcome,
but so is anecdotal evidence (pro or con).

I know there has been concern expressed about this for many years.  I¹ve
heard theory, but I haven¹t seen hard evidence that it is actually a
problem.

I ask this in the context of a Strawbale Tutorial I am co-authoring for the
World Housing Encyclopedia.  The tutorial is meant as guide for constructing
small houses in seismically active regions of the developing world.  Thus
the desire for a reinforced clay plaster as the in-plane lateral resisting
system.  Darcey Donovan has used nylon fishing net in her system with
PAKSBAB in Pakistan (which was shake table tested) but I am looking to use
other mesh materials where such fishing net might not be available.  Metal
mesh seems to be readily available in most of the developing world. (We are
also considering natural fiber mesh, but these may have strength and
degradation problems).

Thanks!

Martin

PS ­ I¹ve copied my colleague, Dmitry Ozeryansky, PE