[GSBN] Drainage within a plaster system

Sarah Johnston sarahjohnston at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jul 10 09:33:32 UTC 2013

  My intention would be to apply a 30mm clay/sand/straw plaster with
this product embedded into/ onto the top of the plaster.  Or 20mm of
lime/cement/ sand/ fibre plaster in place of the clay.  This would be
the typical structural plaster and the thin plaster over the drainage
mat would be to visually hide the mat and stop the wind from driving
rain through the mat, thus adding to the typical plaster rather than
weakening the system.

I am hoping this product would be robust enough to be able to hang the
thin plaster on it with no wires creating any potential weakness in
the weather tightness of the plaster system.  Due to the legal climate
in NZ, the engineering is achieved by means other than the plaster
system, cross bracing etc.  While the plaster is not considered to be
structural, the system will be exposed to seismic activity due to the
fact that Christchurch is still experiencing pretty good shakes on a
regular basis.  (There have actually been over 11,000 shakes of 2.0 or
more since the 'big one' three years ago)!  Do these engineering
numbers support my hope???

  http://www.cirtex.co.nz/files/file/663/Duraflow+GNG+700+Series+Data+Sheet.pdf

As this drainage mat  is in addition to a fairly typical plaster
system I am hoping the small amount of moisture which could
potentially find its way through the outer plaster, across the
drainage gap and into the typical plaster system would not be enough
to become any issue with no typar type product.  I just need to find
out how to get a sample big enough to test....

I look forward to reading through more of your "ranting and raving on
this topic," John. and any other input would be great!

Sven Johnston
Sol Design Ltd
www.soldesign.co.nz