[GSBN] Inward Vapor Drive

Jacob Deva Racusin buildnatural at googlemail.com
Tue May 28 15:01:23 UTC 2013

Greetings,

I am working with a client in the mid-Atlantic region of the United
States (southern Maryland), and a concern has come up regarding inward
vapor drive of a plastered wall.  In this case, the insulation is
dense-packed cellulose, but may as well be straw for all practical
purposes of this conversation.  Exterior lime-stabilized base plaster
with a finish lime plaster is designed to be directly coupled to the
insulation, using traditional wood lath as a substrate.  The concern is
that a moisture-charged reservoir of plaster directly adjacent to the
insulation will result in a strong inward vapor drive during wetting
events followed by sun (solar vapor drive), on top of what is already a
inward-dominant vapor drive for that climate (despite the fact that it
is a heating-dominant climate - this is what the local performance
consultant tells me).  We discussed the application of limewash or
silane/siloxane to reduce liquid absorption into the plaster, as well as
the creation of a vapor-open assembly allowing the vapor to drive all
the way to the interior and the use of clay plaster to store excess
moisture.  This building will be relatively tight with adequate
ventilation.  That said, the local performance consultant is very
concerned about the assembly's ability to deal with inward vapor drive
and the lack of drying potential in that climate.  For reference, I
practice in the relatively colder Northeast.  To that end I'm looking
for advice on a few things:

- Do any of you have case studies and/or hygrothermic models (i.e. WUFI)
of plastered exterior systems in humid mid-Atlantic climates? By 'case
studies', ideally some degree of moisture testing would be helpful for
convincing the skeptical, but basic empirical "this is working under
these conditions" would be great too.  The performance consultant is
going to run a model through WUFI Passive, but I'd be interested in
seeing if anyone has already looked at this, particularly for this climate.
- Has anyone seen failures in plastered exterior systems as a result of
vapor migration?  Not from liquid, mind you - or rather, not bulk liquid
penetration through the plaster into the straw (or cell, in this case) -
but from condensation or significantly-elevated RH?
- One recommendation is to back-vent the plaster.  I fully understand
the benefit of this in regards to interrupting vapor drive and allowing
penetrating liquid to drain, and the air-seal would then be provided by
an exterior air barrier/weather-resistant barrier on the inward side of
the gap.  All other considerations of feasibility and cost aside, I'm
concerned about saturation of the plaster and a greater propensity for
damage from freeze/thaw conditions with atmospheric temps being able to
reach both sides of the plaster.  Any reason I shouldn't be concerned
about this?  Any recommendations on appropriate detailing for
back-venting a clay plaster?  I'm inclined to use wood lath as a
substrate, but wonder if this would only exacerbate damage from
freeze/thaw...

Thanks in advance for your insights,

Jacob

--