[GSBN] Earth plaster and Cellulose

Jacob Deva Racusin buildnatural at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 26 02:46:14 UTC 2013

Hello,

My apologies for the cross-post, but I'm trying to do a very quick and
broad survey.

I was just contacted by a former student I am advising, who is project
managing a building currently in design phase, in the mid-Atlantic
region in the eastern US.  The wall assembly was initially to be
straw-clay, with plaster finish on both sides. Budget and logistics have
directed an insulation switch to cellulose.  He is currently advocating
for wood lath with lime-stabilized earthen base coat, with finish lime
coat (our standard approach for finish exterior plaster).  The architect
is balking, suggesting that the moisture storage and release dynamics
for which we rely upon the plaster in straw-based designs will not play
out the same way with cellulose, that the cellulose will be overwhelmed
with moisture and push the dew point deep into the wall.  This is all
second-hand reporting of the conversation - I know no more than what I
just reported - but I am due to speak with the architect and client
tomorrow on my student's behalf, and I'm curious as to whether or not
any of you have direct experience with earth base plaster over wood lath
outboard of a dense-packed cellulose-insulate wall, or any reason to
believe the cellulose would not behave adequately in concert with
adjoining plaster (as opposed to straw).

The architect is spec'ing (outward from the framing) plywood, housewrap,
drainage gap, stucco lathe, plaster.  My impression is that this
suggestion would certainly work, but is hardly the natural wall system
initially intended.  It seems to be playing off of the concerns of
sun-powered vapor drive pushing vapor deep into the wall cavity as a
result of a reservoir cladding adjoining the insulation.  As long as
there is no interior vapor barrier or Class II vapor retarder, I feel
this dynamic is identical to that we've created with straw-insulated
walls, and if anything the cellulose would stand up better to incidental
vapor or liquid moisture intrusion.  Also note generous overhangs and
24" grade separation are spec'd in the design, as is multiple coats of
limewash (and potentially a silicate top coat for durability), which
will further reduce bulk water absorption and minimize incidental
solar-powered vapor drive.  The wall is designed to dry to both sides of
the assembly, in keeping with the variable moisture drive of that region.

Perhaps there is another concern here I'm not understanding - I'll find
out more tomorrow - but in the meantime if anyone has any perspective on
why this situation would work for straw, and not cell, or any direct
experience in a comparable climate executing such a system, I'd be
grateful for your input.

Thanks so much,
Jacob

--