[GSBN] Any experience with Rice Hulls?

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Tue Dec 13 22:54:56 UTC 2011

See comments.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 5:29 AM, Lance Kairl <sabale at bigpond.com> wrote:

> Our experience with Corn Husks was disastrous,
> The untreated husks became a haven for various insects, as the ceiling
> space
> was not sealed.

Rice husk cannot be compared in corn husks.
These are two completely different forms of biomass.

> Insects reduced the husks to dust, an expensive clean out and replace job
> followed.
>
> So my concerns, husks and straw may not be the same compounds , one may be
> greater food source.

Insects do not feed on rice husks.
A small percentage of diatomaceous earth mixed in with the rice hulls is
all that is needed to keep them totally free of insects.

> Light weight husks may move about more readily with the slight breezes that
> get into ceiling spaces.

Rice husks do not move about in a ceiling, floor or wall.
When we gasify rice husks, a powerful fan is needed to get air to flow
through them.

> The flammability of husks in loose format as opposed to a sealed render
> bale.

Rice husks are not flammable even in a loose format.
See:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/Rice%20Hull%20House/ASTM/114941Report.pdf
Take a match and try to burn them. You will understand immediately.

Thanks.
Paul

> Hope this helps
> Cheers Lance