[GSBN] Admin: Proposal for Non-posting subscribers

Bill Christensen lists at sustainablesources.com
Mon Dec 12 21:03:42 UTC 2011

On 12/12/11 10:44 AM, Sarah Machtey wrote:
> Perhaps, in the interest of not offending people, someone could come up with phrasing for making the reason for keeping the list small a bit more explicit? Something about how it is a popular topic and the number of posters is limited to keep on those busy experts who get too overwhelmed by the flood of emails on the general straw building lists...

That has long been needed.  I come from the science/geek end of the
spectrum and the subtleties of language are admittedly not among my
strongest skills.

And of course that is the exact reason that GSBN started in the first
place... a lot of the early experts were dropping out of the other
strawbale lists due to the continuous stream of SB 101 level questions
and we didn't want to lose their input and expertise.
> Also, Derek makes a good point and if we want to be *really* conscientious we could try to take into account, not only the human brains of people whose first language is something other than English, but also the quirks of language-translation software.
I definitely agree that machine translation often falls far short.
Getting the words just right is going to have to be up to someone other
than me, though.

Derek's suggestion of adding links to the archives and sign up page are
certainly worth incorporating.

Other suggestions are welcome.

Bill "Invoice" Christensen