[GSBN] Catalan vaults

Van Krieken vankrieken at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 19:49:10 UTC 2011

Hi

 I also received this information from Auroville Earth Institute with some
information that could be useful for those interested on this matter:

** **

The most common stabilisers for soil stabilisation and particularly for
CSEB are cement and lime. The selection of one of them will depend on the
soil quality.****

** **

·       Cement stabilisation requires more sandy soils and the average
stabilisation is 5 % by weight of dry materials. Curing of blocks
stabilised with cement is 4 weeks. The principle is that CSEB should not
dry for 4 weeks.****

Best soils for cement stabilisation are considered to have these
proportions of components:****

15% Gravel (20 - 2mm) + 50% Sand (2 - 0.06mm) + 15% Silt (0.06 - 0.002mm) +
20% Clay (≤ 0.002mm)****

** **

·       Lime stabilization requires more clayey soils and the average
stabilisation is 6 % by weight of dry materials. Curing of blocks
stabilised with lime varies according to the quantity and quality of clay.
In general, blocks have to be kept humid for a week (covered with plastic
sheet, air tight) and then let to dry progressively.****

Best soils for lime stabilisation are considered to have these proportions
of components:****

15% Gravel (20 - 2mm) + 30% Sand (2 - 0.06mm) + 20% Silt (0.06 - 0.002mm) +
35% Clay (≤ 0.002mm)****

** **

Often soils have to be modified, either by sieving to remove coarse
particles, by adding sand to a soil that is too clayey or by mixing various
soils. The amount of sand and stabiliser to add depends on the soil
quality. It is therefore not possible to give a general recipe, as there
are infinite types of soils. The more stabiliser you had, the stronger the
blocks are but also costlier they become. Often we limit the stabiliser to
7-8 % of cement or 10 % lime, in order to optimise the ratio strength/cost.*
***

** **

I suggest you to visit our web site http://www.earth-auroville.com where
you have more information on earth architecture, earth technologies, soil
identification and our activities.****

** **

At your service for further information,****

Yours sincerely,****