[GSBN] winning the hearts and minds

Tom Hahn tomhahn at econet.org
Tue Nov 29 15:37:01 UTC 2011

It's just you, Darrel... ;-)   Well, and me... and David... and... oh...

I do think this was a pretty rare anomaly... Even mainstream people I
come across -- that are involved in building or design, or media
about it -- seem to have heard of it (some still with derision in
their tone, and most still calling it "hay-bale", though).  And I've
seen that dramatically change for the better since my days as editor
of TLS.  Back then it was 98% "never-heard-of-it", 1+% had "heard bad
things" about it, and only a tiny minority knew of and were in favor
of it.

Now that percentage is nearly reversed, with only a small percentage
either completely in the dark (your reporter), or just full-on
against it (mostly for reasons that have nothing to do with actual
straw-bale construction).  That reversed 98% are either more-or-less
knowledgeable about it, mostly in a good way, or at least familiar
enough with it to be able to engage their concerns through a rational
conversation about the subject.

I actually think the natural building movement is doing a pretty good
job (considering our "huge corporate marketing budget") in getting
into the hearts and minds of people.

I think your experience, Darrel, says (as Derek noted) more about
contemporary media types than it does about how well we're getting
our message out.  That reporter is possibly sadly uninformed on a
number of other contemporary topics.

But thanks for getting the word out... at least as well as the
reporter could convey it.  I think we all need to be reminded to be
assertive in reaching out to the "mainstream" (as much as I like my
"alternate universe" here at Ecosa..).  And when we do make
"contact", we not only emphasize clarity in what we tell them, but
also that they do the same when writing about what we do. (que
strange "electronica" music melody from Close Encounters of the Third
Kind......)

And I can't wait to see that "soy-boo-bale" building you've got in the works!!

Cheers from Prescott,
Tom Hahn
Ecosa Institute