[GSBN] Decrement factor of SB walls

David Arkin, AIA david at arkintilt.com
Tue Nov 29 01:55:49 UTC 2011

Hi All:

Not long after the Real Goods Solar Living Center Showroom was built (in 1996), students from UC Berkeley did some monitoring, including tracking the transfer of heat through the bale walls.  My recollection is that they found a 12 hour lag of heat transfer between the exterior surface and the interior surface, making for a 'perfect' wall system relative to diurnal temperature swings and comfort.  The actual experience of the structure bears that out somewhat.

It's walls feature 3-string rice straw bales, laid flat, with approximately 3" (76mm) of PISE (earth-cement) on the interior and 4" (102cm) on the exterior.

I will aim to locate the original paper.  I believe it has the actual recorded temperatures, and some other info.

Best,

David

On Nov 28, 2011, at 5:35 PM, John Swearingen wrote:

> This is very interesting, and fortunately in English.  Unfortunately, I don't really know what it means.  Can you explain more?
>
> U-value I know.
> Thermal bridges to nowhere, I know, but what is a "vented facade" (above).
> What are daily indoor heat capacities and sequential head capacities, and what does "strong" and "medium" mean?
> Phase shift mitigation?
> Thanks!
>
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Van Krieken <vankrieken at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> The best source of information about this issue (and many others concerning insulation, thermal mass, etc) it is the book writen by Jean-Pierre Oliva and Samuel Courgey ( L'Isolation Thermique Ecologique).
>
> Citing their book, page 175, concerning a wall with wood structure and straw bales with medium density (80 to 110 Kg/m3, strawbale section 34x46cm. Vented façade in exterior, and interior with clay render.
>

> Thermal loss U (W/m2K) / R (m2K/W) .................................. 0,13 / 7,76
> Losses due to thermal bridges............................................... 4%
> Daily indoor heat capacity (kWh/m2K)................................ 15 (strong)
> Sequential indoor heat capacity (kWh/m2K).......................25 (medium)
> Phase shift (hour) / mitigation of the heat flux (%)............... 16h / 13%
>
> Unfortunately, this book is only in English. Jean-Pierre Oliva, is one of the best known french bio climatic architects, and since many years a great enthusiast of straw bale building. His books (also La Architectire Bioclimatique) can be found at Amazon.
>

> All the best
>
> Jorge VK
> Portugal
>

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:55 PM, <strawnet at aol.com> wrote:
> Ken, Polly Cooper and Jennifer Rennick's chapter that John mention's in that Wiley book - Alternative Construction: Contemporary Natural Building Methods, has a lot of information on this though they don't use the term "decrement." They talk about this issue with straw and other types of wall systems and go into considerable detail. I would get in touch with them and see what they have to say.
>
> David Eisenberg

*  *  *  *  *
Arkin Tilt Architects
Ecological Planning & Design

CoolCalifornia.org
2011 Small Business of the Year
http://coolcalifornia.org/article/2011-award-winners

David Arkin, AIA, Architect
LEED Accredited Professional
CA #C22459/NV #5030

1101 8th St. #180, Berkeley, CA  94710
510/528-9830
www.arkintilt.com

"There is no way to peace. Peace is the way."
— A. J. Muste