[GSBN] Penetrations in straw bale walls

Laura Bartels laura at greenweaverinc.com
Mon Nov 28 22:52:14 UTC 2011

As I complete a project of my own and have used some of my typical ways of doing penetrations in sb walls in a cold climate (sleeves, box outs, etc), I wondered what other great approaches may be out there among our community. It seems a topic missing from the archives as far as I can tell, and one worthy of some good dialogue. It's clear that penetrations have a whole range of impacts from air sealing, to moisture detailing, as well as thermal, durability, repair and other considerations. It's also clear that different penetrations pose different requirements such as attachment issues such as an exterior hose bib, condensation issues such as a dryer vent, etc. Not assuming there is a one size fits all solution for different penetrations, different climates, different levels of appropriateness, etc, I thought I'd raise the question.

Laura

Laura Bartels
GreenWeaver Inc.
520 S. Third St., Suite 5
Carbondale, CO 81623
970-379-6779
www.greenweaverinc.com

We've moved to the Third St. Center
http://thirdstreetcenter.net/
A community place promoting inspiration, sustainability and creative exchange