[GSBN] Decrement factor of SB walls

Laura Bartels laura at greenweaverinc.com
Mon Nov 28 22:38:20 UTC 2011

Hi Martin,
Without going back to the details, I could be mistaken, but it seems that a study by Ken Haggard a while back addressed this or similar properties. I found reference in a GSBN email from '07- see below. Is this the same metric?

Laura

John,

There is that chapter from Ken Haggard and Polly Cooper on Natural
Conditioning in the book Alternative Construction where they look at
this. I was looking at it just recently for some curriculum development.

Laura

John Swearingen wrote:

> Very interesting paper, and well written.  Some time ago I remember hearing
> someone toss out some similar observations about thermal storage, that on a
> diurnal cycle, plaster is activated to a depth of about 2-3 inches
> (5cm -7.5cm).  I have always figured that the exceptional thermal
> performance of
> straw bale buildings is not due solely to the high R-value.  The broad
> thermal mass of the plastered walls, readily available to indoor air for
> heat exchange, modulates temperatures like my pink Cadillac modulates bumps
> in the road.
>
> Does anyone know of research and measurements of short and medium thermal
> storage in walls?
>
> John "Diurnally Yours" Swearingen

Laura Bartels
GreenWeaver Inc.
520 S. Third St., Suite 5
Carbondale, CO 81623
970-379-6779
www.greenweaverinc.com

We've moved to the Third St. Center
http://thirdstreetcenter.net/
A community place promoting inspiration, sustainability and creative exchange