[GSBN] steel clad barn and straw bales

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Sat Oct 8 23:04:08 UTC 2011

Rob Tom mentioned girts, and presumably these horizontal framing elements
exist (to which the steel cladding is fastened).  By virtue of the girts
there would be an airspace and no contact between the bales and the steel
cladding, although the thermal bridge of the girts (especially if metal)
could create local conditions that promote condensation.

Assuming the bales would be tight against the girts, the girts would serve
as fire stops to a large extent (though any corrugations in the cladding
could still allow vertical passage of air), but I agree with others that an
earthen plaster (or at least a clay slip) should be applied to protect the
outer surface of the bales from fire, as well as help manage any moisture
that might condense on or otherwise reach that area.  Rodent or insect
intrusion would be another reason to apply plaster (more effective for this
purpose than a slip) to the exterior bale surfaces.  Finding a way to do
this without removing and reinstalling the steel cladding is worth pursuing,
either by dipping each bale in clay slip (might be sufficient) as John
Straube suggests, or using a pre-fab tilt-up panel as Chris Magwood has
done.

Martin (true girt) Hammer