[GSBN] steel clad barn and straw bales

Tom Woolley tom.woolley at btconnect.com
Fri Oct 7 21:40:34 UTC 2011

Dear Chug

I think the only way you can avoid condensation is to ensure that
there is an air gap between the steel and the bale walls  and one that
is also well ventilated.
Thus the steel is acting as a rain screen. If the bales are tight to
the steel you will almost certainly get condensation
The problem then is to plaster the outside of the bales for fire
reasons. There would also be the worry that there would be a fire risk
in the gap so it needs to be well fire stopped as well
Maybe the only way is to make prefabricated panels that are plastered
on the "outside" before putting into place a bit like MODCELL

It is worth trying to find out the details used for the steel clad
buildings that have been built in the UK using hemcrete internally.
If you google the Wine Society building in Stevenage designed by
Vincent and Gorbing architects. It doesn't look very nice but
apparently its very effective.

Tom
On 7 Oct 2011, at 09:11, Chug wrote:

> Greetings baleheads,
>
> I've been asked if straw bales can be retrofitted to the inside of a
> steel
> clad barn and whether there would be any problems with condensation
> forming
> on the steel and migrating into the bales, anyone got any experience
> share?
>
> bale on
> Chug
> chug at strawbale-building.co.uk