[GSBN] Catalan vaulting

kim thompson shipharbour at ns.sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 19 23:04:45 UTC 2011

Hi
Further to Bob's notes. My interest in catalan vaults was rekindled through various personal (indirect) connections to Peter Rich (Architect). Peter won the
World Building of the Year award for Mapungubwe Interpretation Centre in S. Africa. (http://www.worldarchitecturefestival.com/news-detail.cfm?newsId=120)

See also his work at:       http://www.theearthawards.org/site/built-environment-win/
I quote the web site for The Earth Awards:
"One of the biggest infrastructure challenges facing developing countries is the need to build with local skills and materials. A country cannot become self-sufficient if it relies on Western construction techniques and imported talent and the budget is rarely  available.This challenge was taken up by architect Michael Ramage of Cambridge University and engineering professor John Ochsendorf of Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Working with South Africa-based architect Peter Rich they have pioneered a solution for sustainable building in the world’s poorest and remote areas.

Sustainable Shells has been held up as a truly global revolution in construction, winning it recognition as the finalist in the 2010 Earth Awards’ Built Environment category.Sustainable Shells marries earth bricks with traditional tile vaulting to enable the construction of strong and durable medium-sized buildings. Versatile in its design, it provides a new opportunity for communities to develop the skills needed to build their own schools, clinics and homes.
Michael Ramage explains: “Sustainable Shells is about making a home from the ground on which is it built. It is about giving a community the skills and tools to construct their own buildings without the need for costly imports. Most importantly, it gives people the confidence to construct their own environments and be truly self-reliant”.

Peter Rich Architects and Ramage’s team have worked with tile press manufacturers to pioneer the first stabilised-earth tiles for structural vaulting, made from earth and a small quantity of cement. The vaulting technique is centuries old. What is new about Sustainable Shells is its combination of locally-made earth tiles with structural vaulting (rather thanfired bricks) to maximise the energy savings and effectiveness of construction.

Michael adds “The most effective sustainable design comes where constraints drive innovation. We identified a challenge and have addressed it with Sustainable Shells – a brand new way of building which can radically reduce the energy consumed. This is exactly what The Earth Awards is about: identifying new techniques which help people all over the world to build a better tomorrow.”

kim