[GSBN] Natural ventilation - a new question

forum at lamaisonenpaille.com forum at lamaisonenpaille.com
Wed Aug 31 13:39:36 UTC 2011

I don't see the logic of going through the trouble of installing such a
cooling system for just a few days a year. Often, when adding
'solutions' for problems that do not really exist we introduce problems
that we are unaware of. For instance, a downside to this type of natural
ventilation (the pipe going through the ground that we call a 'canadian
well' in France ;-) is that the warm air cooling down in the tube will
deposit condensation, thus creating an environment that fungi just love.
Hence, this system needs an airfilter before letting the 'contaminated'
air in the house in order to maintain a correct air quality. That is
what I've understood from Habib Gonzalez' who has done research on these
passive cooling systems for the CMHC. He opened up some of those
instalations and, if I remember correctly, all of them had fungi growth
inside.

Have a nice day,

André - sniffing arround - de Bouter
France