[GSBN] Using blown in cellulose to fill in gaps in bale walls

Joyce Coppinger jc10508 at windstream.net
Tue Aug 16 16:43:53 UTC 2011

This message (see below) was posted to the SB-r-us list today (as many of
you probably know already). I thought this was particularly interesting as
it covers many design and construction issues that people often ask or get
into without knowing how to solve. I¹d like to include something in a future
issue of TLS that would share technical tips for design and construction for
the highlighted wording. Anyone want to volunteer to write some tech tips or
an article?

Joyce
---------------
Joyce Coppinger
Managing Editor/Publisher
The Last Straw, the international journal
of strawbale and natural building
PO Box 22706, Lincoln NE 68542-2706
Phone 402.483.5135
<thelaststraw at thelaststraw.org>
web site: www.thelaststraw.org
and our new blog at http://thelaststrawblog.org

1.    Using blown in cellulose to fill in gaps in bale walls
       http://groups.yahoo.com
      Tue Aug 16, 2011

 Hi,

We're in the process of building a strawbale house and I'm considering using
blown in cellulose insulation to fill in some odd spaces where it would be
most difficult to resize a bale.

To explain the construction a bit this is a post and beam house with box
columns spaced at 4 feet to support the structure.  We are infilling between
with bales which makes for lots of resizing due to doors, windows and a
design that's not all that well suited for strawbales!  The biggest issuse
we're facing is the space between the the top bale and the cathedral
ceiling, it is choked by the wall header down to 10" but extends upward
about 30" widening as it goes up to meet the ceiling.  Nothing much can
naturally fill this space so i was thinking of somehow "boxing" this space
and filling it with blown cellulose insulation. It should be compatible with
strawbale as they're both cellulose and it would also be a quick method of
filling a lot of space.

Sound plausible?

If so the main issue that I can foresee is.

What material to use to form the box that can also be plastered?

Plywood "might" work but I know from past experience it forms a vapour
barrier so it could potentially lock in the moisture contained within the
wall.  Would it be logical to let the wall "breathe" by providing air holes
at the top of the wall or some kind of screening material open to the
outside?

All ideas and suggestions welcome.