[GSBN] durability of straw bale construction

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Wed Jun 15 00:40:06 UTC 2011

Hello Martin,

I say the testimony is in the buildings themselves.  The various straw bale
books show buildings that are 108, (2) 104+/-, 90, 86, 83, 74, and 73 years
old.  These are only the buildings commonly published (not sure how many
more, if any(?), are out there).  Straw, as a cellulose-based material (like
wood) will last indefinitely if kept dry and away from harm of fire and
(some) insects.  Note that many of the buildings in the 73-108 age range
were built crudely by today¹s standard, yet there they stand.

Cheers.

(the other) Martin