[GSBN] Square footage of straw-bale homes

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Thu May 12 23:37:37 UTC 2011

Interesting discussion.

Houses (in the West at least) are by far, and above all other things, about social display - and here size/prestige/street appearance really does matter to most.

Rational design does not necessarily fulfill this criteria.

Hence architects who have an understanding of environmental issues - and there are plenty who don't really "get it" even if they are supposedly taught about these issues nowadays -  have real problems dealing with some commissions unless you have a client who wants to display that are really in tune with environmental  awareness by building small.

Rather you are more likely to get the planted roof on the car factory  - which was one recent example that came my way.

Graeme
Graeme North Architects
49 Matthew Road
RD1