[GSBN] Suitablity of fresh cowdung supplies from feedlots for natural plasters

kim thompson shipharbour at ns.sympatico.ca
Sat May 7 00:49:45 UTC 2011

Hello all,

Our friend, Emma Fitzgerald, recently shared the following
interesting piece of local knowledge on "dung quality" with Andy and I:

>  I haven't done much work with lime/manure etc. but a book I was
> recently reading about manure finishing in  Botswanna said that the
> grass was important for its lipid content, which works as a binding
> agent. In years when there was drought, and the cows only fed on
> leaves, the women knew that the dung would not be of the same quality.
>
> They mention fat content in grass as a factor in dung plastering in
> Chapter 6, Colour and Materials, and quote a 71 year old italian
> builder who lived in Gabaronne,
> The reference is "Decorated Homes in Botswanna" by Sandy and Elinah
> Grant, published in 1995, Bay Publishing, Gabaronne.
>
> Best,

kim

> Le 19/04/2011 15:12, Andy Horn a écrit :
>
> Hi all
>
> I am busy with 3 large straw bale public building, coating in a
> thick dipping of earth plaster and well worked in to the bales,
> which we are protecting with 2 top coats of lime, sand, cow dung
> and clay water plaster using a recipe I learnt from an old builder
> Herbert whom was taught it by his grandfather for the plastering of
> the adobe buildings of his old Moravian mission town.
>

> We are having a bit of difficulty getting sufficient supplies of
> fresh cow dung near our site in Johannesburg, however we have
> located a nearby feedlot, where the stuff is readily available only
> thing is that I are wondering if this kind of cow dung would still
> be suitable ….as I imagine it would have less fibre than cow dung
> sourced from free ranging cattle. Apparently the cows at the
> feeding station are fed on about 10% hay/grass and 90% grain.
>

> What Herbert our old heritage builder tells us is that it should be
> fine so long as they are fed some fibre and that indeed he has made
> use of such cow dung before and one cannot even tell the
> difference. For him the more important thing is that the cow dung
> is fresh …i.e. no more than 3 days old.
>

> So anyhow I was wondering if any of you lot out there have any with
> experience in using feed-lot cow dung for their plasters and if you
> have come up against similar issues in terms of what the cows get
> to eat affecting the quality of the cow dung before and if you have
> any opinions/experience with this.
>

> Incidentally the plaster mix that we get with this receipt is
> particularly good. It is both very strong and extremely durable as
> well as being particularly forgiving and really easy to work with
> as lime plasters typically go.
>

> So if any of you are interested I could email you a pdf document
> directly ( please respond to me separately on
> andy at ecodesignarchitects.co.za ….do not reply to the whole mailing
> group) that I have written up on the process…as I am not sure I can
> mail it to this address direct….unless you want me upload it
> somewhere. Joyce I would be more than  happy for you to print it up
> in a forthcoming “Last Straw” magazine too.
>

> cheers
>
> Andy

Kim Thompson
Straw Bale Projects
2699 Northwood Terrace
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3K 3S9
tel. 902-453-2429 or 902-845-2750
e mail: shipharbour at ns.sympatico.ca
www.naturalbuilding.ca

"Tradition and modernity are merely two sides of the same coin - and
must be dealt with simultaneously. Building cannot be a rigid dogma,
but a living, organic, ecological project. It is about continuity,
based on memory, common sense and experience and is the foundation of
invention."   Hasan Uddin Khan