[GSBN] Perlite u/floor insulation

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Mon Apr 4 15:33:55 UTC 2011

Perlite is made up of small bits of expanded volcanic glass with a very
rough surface texture and some quantity of gaseous bubbles trapped in
the glass (see first link below).  While neither the glassy material
nor the trapped bubbles will absorb water, the rough surface and the
space between the perlite grains can hold water.  For this reason,
perlite is sometimes called "absorbent".  Although I think the usage is
imprecise, water can saturate a layer of loose perlite, and eliminate
most of its insulation ability.  The second link below says that
perlite has "the ability to hold 200 to 600 percent of its weight in
water."  This is an obvious concern in any construction situation where
water intrusion or significant moisture/water vapor is involved.

<http://www.schundler.com/filler.htm>
<http://www.ehow.com/facts_7844068_perlite-calcium-silicate-water-absorption.html>

Laura Bartels used bagged perlite as under-floor insulation in a recent
project, so perhaps she will add her perspective.  Andy, from your
description of the "water logged site", it sounds like perlite would
not be a reliable choice for underfloor insulation, unless moisture can
be excluded.

Best wishes,
Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu

--On Monday, April 4, 2011 11:57 AM +0200 Andy Horn