[GSBN] Looking for experiences with AAC and Rastra

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Thu Dec 23 15:28:49 UTC 2010

Thanks for your comments, Bill.  If Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (AAC)
blocks are subject to spalling, freeze/thaw cracking, and other
moisture-related damage, use in a foundation or stem wall could be a
significant problem.

I'm concerned about the embodied energy question, but reminding myself:
at a density of 1/5th to 1/20th that of concrete, AAC can gather some
greenie points where it replaces or reduces a greater mass of concrete
used in a structure.

I was surprised to learn that AAC was invented and put into commercial
production and use in Sweden, during the 1920's.  I guess it's been a
bit slow to catch on in the USA.

Bill, in talking about FlexCrete, what did you mean when you wrote,
"similar aerated concrete block which is not aerated"?

Thanks,
Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu

--On Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:08 PM -0600 bill christensen