[GSBN] Experience with Wrapping CMU with Strawbale?

David Arkin, AIA david at arkintilt.com
Tue Dec 7 15:58:31 UTC 2010

Hello Mark:

Architect Jon Hammond from Davis, CA has built a few police stations in the CA Central Valley with bales wrapped around a CMU structure.  I saw Jon give a presentation about these projects a couple years ago, but don't recall whether or not they 'buttered' the bales and stuck them to the wall (that's how I'd propose to do it) or not.  I believe the dew point will be well within the bales, nowhere near the CMU.  I'd perhaps worry more about rodents filling an air space.

Contact Jon or Bruce Playle:
Indigo/ Hammond & Playle Architects, LLP
231 G. Street, Suite 2
Davis, CA 95616
T (530) 750-0756 x1#
jhammond at indigoarch.com
http://www.indigoarch.com

Best wishes and good luck with the project,

David Arkin

On Nov 30, 2010, at 3:14 PM, nature boy wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Does anyone have experience or ideas about wrapping an existing or new CMU structure with exterior bales? We have a client asking about this idea and she is worried about dew point between the CMU and bales.
>
> Airspace between or not?
>
> Mark Lakeman
> Communitecture, Inc.
> & The City Repair Project

*  *  *  *  *
Arkin Tilt Architects
Ecological Planning & Design

David Arkin, AIA, Architect
LEED Accredited Professional
CA #C22459/NV #5030

1101 8th St. #180, Berkeley, CA  94710
510/528-9830
www.arkintilt.com

"There is no way to peace. Peace is the way."
— A. J. Muste