[GSBN] Fwd: [SB-r-us] Attic fire, in a straw bale duplex.

Bill Christensen billc at greenbuilder.com
Mon Nov 15 04:25:26 UTC 2010

One more little anecdote to add to the earthen plastered straw bale burn files:

In 2006 when we did the ASTM burn test down in San Antonio* I took a
couple souveniers (sp?) of baked, water-blasted earthen plaster home
to show the folks in Austin.  They were then put in a ziplock bag
(because my wife's nose didn't care for the smokey aroma) on a shelf
with a handful of other buliding material samples and pretty much
ignored.

Today I opened the bag and there was absolutely no smokey smell,
despite the fact that some of the material was quite well blackened.

*see the video at
<http://www.ecobuildnetwork.org/resources/straw-bale-fire-test-video>