[GSBN] SB Overhangs

Joyce Coppinger jc10508 at windstream.net
Thu Sep 23 19:03:55 UTC 2010

The GSBN discussion about sb overhangs and my frequent references to the
book A Shelter Sketchbook: Timeless Building Solutions by John S. Taylor
(I'm working on a book review for a future issue and it's inspiring all
types of articles) prompt me to send this message to you.

There's a page in the book that shows various ways to provide protection to
stay dry: A small hip segment on a gable roof of a house in Switzerland is
shown - the hip segment protects a small porch that can be used in all
weather as a place to work and to dry food and clothes. It covers the top
triangle of the gable which is always a difficult space to fill with bales
or to coat/cover to protect from weather. This looks like it would be a good
way to protect the wall of a two-story straw-bale house.

Small roofs, hoods, and cantilevered overhangs over doors are very effective
devices for diverting the rain - a pentice (or pent roof - sloping boards),
a door hood,  a cantilevered ³outshout²  shown as an overhanging upper floor
that acts as a rain hood for the lower level. Might also be useful over
windows in two- story walls.

There's also a drawing of a Czechoslovakian house with the gable wall
protected by a roof projection and a cantilevered, or jettied, second floor
that extends out farther than the first story wall, protects the first
story.

I don't know that this really fits into a code document, but they are
solutions for staying dry.

You will probably be seeing and reading more about these in future issues of
TLS. And the book may become a favorite of yours, too.

Joyce
Joyce Coppinger
Managing Editor/Publisher
The Last Straw, the international journal
of strawbale and natural building
PO Box 22706, Lincoln NE 68542-2706
Phone 402.483.5135
<thelaststraw at thelaststraw.org>