[GSBN] TLS -Putting a Project Together

stoneandstraw stoneandstraw at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 6 20:41:04 UTC 2010

All,
In 1999, I went through five potential lenders before I figured out Chris' strategy.  I erased the words straw bales from every page of my plans except the front page notes.  Of the ~35 notes, three of them mentioned straw bales, but after the fifth lender turned me down, all of the other pages (sections through, paln views, details) simply said "cellulose insulation").  By leaving the notes on the front page, I was clearly not lying to the lenders, but rather taking advantage of the fact that they usually don't read the notes - until it is too late to change their minds.  Less than two hours before we were to sign the loan docs, the lender called my up, freaking out about "straw bales."  I held his hand on the phone for nearly 45 minutes, but I am convinced that what made the difference was that he was too embarassed to tell his superiors that he had missed this "vital detail" until the day of the signing.   BTW, after my house, this lender made a specialty of lending on "green" projects.  I lost touch with him after a few years, so I don't know if he kept it up, but for at least a while, he was really proud of the being the "green lender" for our area.  %^}
Getting the permit was relatively easy.  Ours was the first straw bale home in Placer County and when I brought my plans in, the CBO said to me, "we were wondering when we'd see you."  ...not meaning me, myself; but rather the first straw bale home applicant.  I am sure it helped some that I was on the Board of CASBA and had writtne the report for the CEC on the thermal properties of straw bale walls, but I am also very confident that even w/o those advantages, it would not have been a big "sle" to get them to issue the permit.
Best,
Nehemiah