[GSBN] TLS#62/Putting a Project Together

Joyce Coppinger jc10508 at windstream.net
Mon Aug 30 20:17:41 UTC 2010

Hello all,

Hope you are all having a busy and successful building projects so far this
year. I'm working on TLS#62/Putting a Project Together and would like to get
your input. In this issue, the goal is to share information about how to
successfully and profitably put a project together - whether you are an
owner/builder or play a professional role. I'm trying to share articles on:

what to look for in a building site/land
how to site a building

how to select materials including bales
how to determine if a product is really "green" or "sustainable"

how to work through codes and permit processes
importance of reading the codes for strawbale (even if you don't have a
local code - you can learn a great deal about design and construction,
materials and methods, just by reading the codes)

how to finance a project especially in these difficult economic times when
so many conventional methods may not work
best ways to calculate costs of materials, labor, permits and other costs

how to find insurance - during construction, homeowners, professional
liability coverage

things that people often don't think about or budget for - utility
connections, access roads/streets, cost over-runs, change order costs,
delays in shipments or getting the construction work done, liens and so on

working with clients in the design phase
working with clients in the construction phase
working with change orders
working with clients before, during and after plastering phase

how to estimate costs and budget for all costs of the project - pre-design
through final inspection

how to manage a timeline, types of timelines to use
how to use checklists as a builder, as an owner/builder
how to work with architects, engineers, contractors, subcontractors, trades
people (plumbers, electricians, energy) suppliers, and all other
professionals and people involved in a project

types of liability builders must be aware of - design issues, construction
problems, warranties, guarantees, promising more than the product or
equipment will give or claims to give (especially when working with "green"
products or materials or supplies and renewable energy equipment and systems
which are new technologies or equipment

and any others that you want to see included or about which you want to
share. I have others on my list, I'm sure you do, too.

TlS has published two articles on how to hold a bale raising and one on how
to organize an open house - so this seems to be covered - unless you have
new or other ideas about this

I'm going to be doing an entire issue on bales - if you want to write about
finding bales, the right type of bales, handling and preparing bales,
checking moisture in bales, types of balers, types of materials to bale, or
anything else...feel free to send in an article - but I'll probably hold it
for the All About Bales and Baling issue #66.

Always appreciate your input and contributions for TLS, a reader-written
journal.

Joyce
Joyce Coppinger
Managing Editor/Publisher
The Last Straw, the international journal
of strawbale and natural building
PO Box 22706, Lincoln NE 68542-2706
Phone 402.483.5135
<thelaststraw at thelaststraw.org>