[GSBN] Nominations

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Mon Aug 30 16:55:44 UTC 2010

I would prefer to retain the historical approach, as Martin describes
it.  While the "seconded" and "thirded" etc. messages are sometimes
uninteresting, they aren't so numerous as to be a problem for me.  If
this is perceived as an issue, I would rather encourage members to
write interestingly, rather than eliminate the confirmation, or conduct
it off-list.  In most cases, those posting a "second" do make it
interesting, by adding a sentence or two about the nominee and their
interactions with the person.

I value our collective wisdom.  I benefit from hearing from a few extra
voices about a prospective or new member of our circle.  In general, we
all tend to be so welcoming, that I don't remember any nomination
failing for want of a second.  There have been times when no one
responds quickly, and a reminder is needed.  Again, I favor that, over
an automatic system.

I also remember a nomination, regarding which I, and another person or
two, responded along the lines of "sure, the more the merrier."
Eventually, posts from a couple of other members, who had more direct
experience with the individual, suggested that collaboration and free
exchange of information could be diminished by his participation in the
discussions.  That is the only unsuccessful nomination that I remember,
although there may have been others.

In every case, I see advantages to giving members time to think and
react to a nomination, and there is seldom any need for great haste.
Therefore, I would like to continue with the system that we have used,
giving some time after a nomination for both support messages and the
rare opposition to be posted and considered by the group.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu

--On Sunday, August 29, 2010 9:09 PM -0700 martin hammer
<mfhammer at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Last Sunday a nomination was made and was accepted in less than 30
> minutes by Bill without a second.  This is the first time to my
> knowledge that a nomination has been accepted without a second.  I've
> communicated with Bill off-list, and I understand from him that
> nominations historically had all been approved (with one exception)
> and that approvals had become just a matter of course.  His next few
> days were going to be very busy, so he made the decision to approve
> it without a second.  (Bill correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.)
>
> My own opinion is that we should maintain the protocol of requiring
> seconds, but if the group thinks otherwise, then the will of the
> group should govern.  But I do think this should be settled as a
> group, and it seems to me we need to choose one of the following:
>

>   ? Nominations require a second (as I believe they always have) (or
> did they require a third in earlier years?)
>   ? They are automatically approved by virtue of nomination by
> someone on this list.
>   ? The list host (to date Bill) makes the decision to approve (with
> or without a second)
>

> Thanks.
>
> Martin Hammer

Derek Roff