[GSBN] Nominations

Bill Christensen billc at greenbuilder.com
Mon Aug 30 04:51:14 UTC 2010

At 9:09 PM -0700 8/29/10, martin hammer wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>Last Sunday a nomination was made and was accepted in less than 30
>minutes by Bill without a second.  This is the first time to my
>knowledge that a nomination has been accepted without a second.
> I've communicated with Bill off-list, and I understand from him
>that nominations historically had all been approved (with one
>exception) and that approvals had become just a matter of course.
> His next few days were going to be very busy, so he made the
>decision to approve it without a second.  (Bill correct me if I'm
>wrong on any of this.)

All the above is correct.

>My own opinion is that we should maintain the protocol of requiring
>seconds, but if the group thinks otherwise, then the will of the
>group should govern.  But I do think this should be settled as a
>group, and it seems to me we need to choose one of the following:
>
>Nominations require a second (as I believe they always have) (or did
>they require a third in earlier years?)
>They are automatically approved by virtue of nomination by someone
>on this list.
>The list host (to date Bill) makes the decision to approve (with or
>without a second)

I personally prefer to see the seconds/thirds/me-toos be done
OFFLIST, unless someone has reservations.  In that case it should be
brought up for discussion with the whole group.

I definitely do NOT want to be the sole decision maker.

How about this... If a nomination is made and I don't hear any yeas
or nays withing x days, we can assume that the list member who made
the nomination has the best interest of the group at heart and take
it as a "no contest" approval.   How many days should that be?