[GSBN] Big News!!

Tim Owen-Kennedy timok33 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 18:01:25 UTC 2010

Just a chime in. Having done two story with and without a second roof I'd be
in favor of writing it in to the code and letting professionals argue the
case for removing it in certain circumstances. (tIthink I've seen language
for this elsewhere - "unless otherwise specified by an architect or engineer
all straw bales walls in excess of 12 feet (>4 meters) shall have an
intermediate roof or water shed detailing...) I do think a sloped  tile drip
edges with flashing or cantileavered second stories can often replace a roof
but the detailing is so critical it would benefit from everyone (including a
building official) being signed off on the detailing. the aspect ratio seems
great having done 18 ft (5.5m) high walls with an 9 ft (3m)overherhang but I
think that is so site and climate specific as others have said.

And I had been reluctant to shout out my great thanks and praises to our
dear friends fighting for the legitimacy and acceptance of these techneques
unless I had something else to add. So THANKS, you guys rock by being
willing to do the undersung work of relating to all those that most of us
can't. And for trying to codify these processes helps vet out our burgeoning
industry and does quite a bit to save us from the marketing nightmares of
poorly detailed failures in our field.

O-K's two cents, or maybe less, I haven't checked the exchange rate lately.

be well,

Tim

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 8:38 AM, Kelly Lerner
<klerner at one-world-design.com>wrote:

> Congratulations to all involved, especially Marty and David! I'm always so
> thankful for SB professionals tenacious enough to brave years of BIG
> bureaucracy. Their work benefits us all so much.
>
> On the wall protection issues, I do favor mandating wall protection with
> some performance based language that allows for different climates (wind
> speed, rain, drying potential, temperature, etc) and exposures. To ignore
> the issue because it is too complicated, is almost like refusing to share
> our accumulated experience and thereby encouraging failures. As I saw in
> Mongolia, poor design and/or poor construction can forever taint a perfectly
> good building technique (there was a nasty fire in one building actually
> unrelated to the strawbale that never the less tainted strawbale
> construction).
>
> In other news, I'm planning to be in Europe (Karlskrona, Sweden - my
> partner is in Grad school there) Jan-February and April-May 2010. If any of
> you bale-heads need a lecture on Strawbale in China or the US or any related
> topic just let me know. I'm looking for good reasons to travel all around.
> Cheers,
>
>   Kelly Lerner, Architect
> One World Design Architecture
> 509-838-8812
> www.one-world-design.com
>
> Have you read Natural Remodeling for the Not-So-Green House? Available in
> Bookstores across the Universe.
> www.naturalremodeling.com

Tim Owen-Kennedy, Owner
Vital Systems, natural building & design
P O Box 751, Ukiah, CA 95482
www.vitalsystems.net
888.859.6336