[GSBN] Fwd: Cleaning up oil spill with straw/hay

BuildersWithoutBorders mail at builderswithoutborders.org
Thu May 13 18:17:52 UTC 2010

Dear Colleagues - For a positive perspective on the recent oil spill
in the gulf, here's a link to a YouTube video that showcases hay and
straw as oil
absorbers.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5SxX2EntEo>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5SxX2EntEo

Once saturated with oil, the straw could be inoculated with oyster
mushrooms, which as I understand from the work of Paul Stamets, will
actually eat
petroleum.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BelfLIJErek  (also see
www.fungi.com , and his book Mycelium Running, etc.)

Thanks to Pete Gang for passing along the first video link.

Sincerely,
Catherine Wanek
Co-director
Builders Without Borders