[GSBN] embodied energy and sequestration

Tom Woolley tom.woolley at btconnect.com
Fri May 7 12:19:57 UTC 2010

Dear all

Maybe there is confusion here between cement and lime

Lime can absorb C02 during carbonation and this can make a small
contribution to carbon sequestration over its life in a building

Cement however does not in most cases as cement works best if it does
not carbonate unlike lime.

The argument that C02 is stored in concrete is a  bogus argument put
about by the cement and concrete industry to try and greenwash cement.
The carbonation argument seems to be based on the idea that concrete
can be crushed at the end of life and that this has some carbonation
benefit
See
http://www.sustainableconcrete.org.uk/main.asp?page=85

The C02 is emitted during the manufacture of cement and is not
recovered in my opinion . It contributes to fossil fuel energy wastage
and global warming
Even the use of recycled material like ash involves energy though the
cement industry have made great strides in reducing this

Cement manufacture remains one of the highest emitters of C02 in all
human activity as alternatives are not being used in many parts of the
world

Pragmattically we probably all use a bit of cement from time to time
but it should be avoided if there are better alternatives like lime or
earth
Here is an interesting paper which discusses these issues and compares
cement to alternatives

http://www.springerlink.com/content/56266t21424h4854/

Calculation of sequestration  in wood straw etc.

A paper on this is being prepared by David Robson of University of
Cumbria and initial findings have been presented to the UK Renewable
Building Group
Several GSBN UK members are part of this group

This research will be made available when complete and will hopefully
provide some hard data on the sequestration contribution of renewable
bio based materials

Tom

Tom Woolley

Rachel Bevan Architects