[GSBN] Embodied energy comparisons

martin oehlmann moehlmann at wanadoo.fr
Tue May 4 09:06:40 UTC 2010

Dear all,

a year ago we had that discussion on embodied energy comparisons. I learned 1 kg of straw binds 2,12 kg CO2 as 1 kg of straw through the composting process attracts 2 O.

Baubook http://www.baubook.at/  , the Austrian official organisation for sequestion calculations uses the following value for straw: CO2 equ./kg -1,25. There is no explanation involved.

Could their figures simply refer to C and not to CO2 or are there large differences in the sorts of straw like the weak barley straw and the strong rye or rice straw. And if so does this also refer to the differents sorts of wood like fir and oak and are there figures available?

Thanks for any insights and sunny greetings from Brittany,

Martin Oehlmann