[GSBN] TLS Issue Themes

jc10508 at windstream.net jc10508 at windstream.net
Fri Feb 26 05:04:37 UTC 2010

Hello again,

Below is the list of topics for upcoming issues of The Last Straw journal.
There are no deadlines listed as I'm working on several issue trying to get
them completed and get back on schedule - right now I'm working on TLS #60
(the Details issue - nearly completed) #61, #62, #63, and #64.

Issues will be posted in PDF to the web site's online order system as soon
as they are completed. If you want to receive TLS in PDF format, just let me
know. If you aren't currently subscribing, hope you will - or you can order
single issues in PDF and see if you like this new format. The PDF is exactly
the same as the print format and content - there are color photos when
available, and you can download the PDF to your computer, a CD or
DVD...remember it's for your personal use only (copyright, you know).

Print version will be mailed as time and funds allow. (If you want to check
out the TLS blog and the TLS web site, and make a quick and much needed
donation to TLS while you are there, click on the web ads - TLS receives a
portion of the advertising fees when someone clicks on each ad - really
helps!)

I'll be sending out reminders about subscription and sponsorship renewals -
of course if you want to contact me now, that would be most welcome. I'll
gladly let you know about your subscription and sponsorship status.

Always welcome articles, news, calendar items, and other content from you
all. Just send an email and I'll be glad to work with you.

Themes of Future Issues

Because of delays in publishing during 2007-09, we have omitted submission
deadlines and publication dates. If you are interested in submitting an
article or any other content for a future issue of TLS, please do so at any
time. The issue themes and scheduling are subject to change.

#61 - The Women of Strawbale and Natural Building. Issue #10 of The Last
Straw featured women in the strawbale community. We'll revisit some of them
and tell you about others who are now involved.

#62 - Putting a Project Together - How to work with codes officials,
architects, engineers, contractors and subcontractors, lenders and funders,
real estate agents and appraisers, suppliers and all those involved in
putting a project together.

#63 - Commercial and Industrial Buildings of strawbale and natural
materials. Office, retail and industrial, schools, churches, barns, post
offices, police stations, work shops, nature centers, among others.

#64 - Designing and Building for Accessibility and Health. Seeking solutions
for accessible, nontoxic environments for all.

#65 - Building in the Round. Design and construction of round, hexagonal,
octagonal buildings; round wood building; space use ideas for round
buildings.

#66 - All about Bales and Baling - Types of bales (hemp, wheat, oats, rye,
rice, grasses and others), sizes of bales (small rectangular, jumbo), and
baling machines and equipment. And more.

#67 - Retrofitting existing structures with bale walls and other natural
building systems.

#68 - Natural Building and Ecotourism, How natural building can be
discovered through ecotourism and how ecotourism can benefit from natural
building.

#69 - The Natural Building Professional, The role of the straw-bale and
natural building professional in building a sustainable environment.

#70 - Impacts on the Environment, What are the impacts of strawbale and
natural building on the environment? R-values, embodied energy, life-cycle
analysis, testing and research, unanswered questions.

#71 - The Men of Strawbale and Natural Building. TLS #10 and #61 featured
the women - now the men are spotlighted!

#72 - Educational Programs and Opportunities. Where can you find classroom
and hands-on education and training; internships and apprenticeships - what
to look for as an intern or apprentice, what a contractor or organization is
looking for. Developing curriculum for CEU and educational institutions.

#73 -  Let's Get Plastered. All about plastering materials, methods,
testing, durability in different climates.

#74 - Past, Present and Future. What has and hasn't worked. What are the
Emerging Trends. Where's Strawbale and  Natural Building Headed? Merging
with the mainstream, rating programs, funding sources.

#75 - Staying Natural. Becoming the norm without losing the natural benefits
of strawbale and natural building.

Thanks to you all!

Joyce
Joyce Coppinger
Managing Editor/Publisher
The Last Straw, the international journal
of strawbale and natural building
PO Box 22706, Lincoln NE 68542-2706
402.483.5135, fax 402.483.5161
<thelaststraw at thelaststraw.org>