[GSBN] Bales for Haiti

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrint.com
Sat Feb 20 19:13:39 UTC 2010

I do not think that the use of acrylic cement binds one to a particular
style, and the important element that acrylic cement has to offer is the
total water-proofing of a cement surface in a tropical climate. I built
straw bale structures in Texas, and even after incorporating the best advice
in the world, I was still faced with the migration of water into a straw
bale wall. Therefore after many discussions with people skilled in acrylic
cement, I think this might be an answer to a very big concern.

I believe that there are two important considerations for Haiti: 1) building
designs that match architectural traditions, and 2) using a biomass that is
readily available at this time of the year, whether this be rice straw or
rice hulls. I do not undertsand the logic of shipping bales to Haiti from
the USA. But if asked to help in this, I respect so much the people who make
this request that it is impossible to refuse their request.

A straw bale purist might view straw bale construction as necessarily
load-bearing. But I do not think it is important to be a purist, since so
many other elements in a particular circumstance have to be taken into
consideration. The moment someone lets go of a purist approach and abandons
the load-bearing option, then the biomass that goes into a wall could be in
the form of bales or sacks, or it could be loose. However if rice hulls are
readily available, then one should consider the loose option. And if one
lives in a tropical climate where moisture and heat are a problem, then one
should keep in mind that rice hulls are far more water-resistant than straw
and have a superior insulating value.

Thanks.
Paul Olivier