[GSBN] Bales for Haiti

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrint.com
Fri Feb 19 20:27:00 UTC 2010

There has been a request for rice straw bales out of the USA. This, I
presume, means that rice straw bales are not available in Haiti. Normally
rice straw bales would be available, if at all, only at the time of harvest.

However rice hulls should be available at rice mills in Haiti throughout the
year, since paddy rice is stored and milled on a daily basis. Therefore it
might be more appropriate to build rice hull houses rather than straw bale
houses at this particular time in Haiti. The basic approach would be that of
ferrocement, and loose hulls would be sandwiched in between two strands of a
ferrocement wall. Of course the concrete used in ferrocement construction
would have to be properly mixed, blended and reinforced, as is generally not
the case in Haiti. In this approach, concrete blocks or building bricks
would not be used, and this would significantly lighten the structure.
Acrylic could be used to water-proof the cement, and rice hulls are
naturally water-resistant. See http://www.esrla.com/pdf/astm1.pdf as well as
http://www.esrla.com/pdf/astm2.pdf

Thanks.
Paul Olivier