[GSBN] Bales for Haiti

strawnet at aol.com strawnet at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 18:41:28 UTC 2010

 First I want to say that it is great to see both the interest in doing something and the level of reflection and inclusion of a wide range of points of view. The last few messages, Derek's, RT's, Max's, Andre's and Kelly's in particular, resonate deeply for me.

A long time piece of basic advice of mine is that when you go somewhere unknown and unfamiliar to you, in what I call "helping mode," begin with the assumption that you are probably dangerous. You have likely made assumptions that are unfounded and, literally, ungrounded, so be really careful about what you are or think you are bringing.

Your real task is to discover whether anything that you know, any of the solutions you think you are bringing, will actually be of service or use or are needed or wanted. If they aren't based in reality on the ground where you're going, they're not solutions. Take questions, not answers. Kelly's list of questions is a great one. The Steen's approach to working in Mexico was a partnership over time - learning from the locals, letting them lead the way in terms of resources, tools, traditional approaches, cultural norms, etc.to find good solutions that really work.

As for roofs, I want to point toward some work by George Nez and, I think, Engineers Without Borders International on Acrylic Modified Concrete roof systems - very strong, very lightweight, durable and inexpensive. There is info here:

http://ceae.colorado.edu/mc-edc/?ii=AST%20Research:Acrylic%20Roofs

What I particularly like about these is that they are very safe and strong, use a simple set of materials and methods that can be quickly learned, and can be insulated in a variety of ways.

And EWBI has some very good links as well here:
http://www.ewb-international.org/resources.htm
http://www.ewb-international.org/emergencies.htm

David Eisenberg