[GSBN] Bales for Haiti

Andrew Webb andrew at thegreenwebb.com
Fri Feb 19 00:32:30 UTC 2010

I agree, RT.  Something that often seems to get overlooked is the
concept of "appropriate technology" - using technology that is simple to
reproduce with local knowledge, skills, materials and equipment,
effective for the situation and that costs what local people can afford
without continued aid money (ie. being truly sustainable).  If they have
a lot of rice straw in Haiti and given that they don't need high
insulation values in the climate, would not cob or wattle and daub be
more appropriate wall materials as they need less equipment?

If not, providing a baling 'machine' is fine until it breaks down and
needs parts.  The hand-press as in Pakistan is a good idea assuming it
can be replicated from local materials easily - that would also give the
opportunity to make thinner bales if they can be structurally adequate,
as the insulation value of standard bales is not required.

I don't know, as I haven't been to the area - just some thoughts.

- Andrew